Knowledge Apply Now - The Los Angeles Film School


What do I need to do to be considered for admission to The Los Angeles Film School?
You must have a standard High School diploma or GED from a recognized and accredited school to begin a degree program at The Los Angeles Film School.

I withdrew from the school but would like to start again. Who should I contact?
Please email

Do you offer financial aid?
Yes. For more information please visit here. International students are not eligible for Federal student aid.
Do you accept military benefits?
Yes. For more information on military benefits please visit here.

Does The Los Angeles Film School accept Department of Defense (DoD) Military Education Benefits?
Yes. Our institution is compliant with instructions in and on the list of participating institutions with the DoD MOU. We accept military tuition assistance (TA) for all branches of service and qualified civilians. To determine your eligibility for military tuition assistance, please consult with your base education office.
Does The Los Angeles Film School accept Veteran Administration (VA) Education Benefits?
Yes. The Los Angeles Film School works with all veterans and eligible dependents to process their VA Education Benefits on a monthly basis. Enrolled students will work with our Military Benefits Specialists who operate a streamlined system. They also assist in securing all applicable transfer credits.

Some commonly used benefits at our institution are:

• Chapter 35/Survivors & Dependents Assistance
• Chapter 33/The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® * Unlimited Yellow Ribbon
• Chapter 33/TEB/The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® for Eligible Dependents* Unlimited Yellow Ribbon
• Chapter 31/Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
• Marine Gunnery Sergeant John D. Fry Scholarship
• Chapter 1606/Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve
• Chapter 1607/Reserve Education Assistance Program

G.I. Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at .

Will VA cover the entire cost of my program?
Every student’s eligibility is unique due to dates of service, dependent status, and prior use of education benefits. Our Military Benefits Specialists have proficiency with determining eligibility based on your conversation with them and any paperwork you might have but the Department of Veteran Affairs has the definitive answer. Call them at 1-888-GIBILL-1.
How do I apply for Military Education Benefits?
Our Military Benefits Specialists will guide you through an efficient application process in E-Benefits. Before you fill out your VONAPP, ensure that you have all required and accurate information regarding our school and your program.

Can I use VA benefits along with Financial Aid?
Yes. Please speak with your Admissions Representative to discuss options available to you.

Are you a Yellow Ribbon school?
Yes, The Los Angeles Film School offers an unlimited amount of Yellow Ribbons for an unlimited number of participants.
I’m a dependent of a veteran. Do I qualify for educational benefits?
Dependents’ benefits are unique to each individual and each circumstance. Please speak with your Admissions Representative for more information.
How do I transfer benefits to a dependent attending The Los Angeles Film School?
Each situation is different, but the recommended steps are:

• Log on the Department of Defense Transfer Education Benefits website (compatible only with Internet Explorer). Submit the Transferability Application to request transfer of benefits to dependent.
• Dependent must go to E-Benefits or VONAPP website and complete the VONAPP VA Form 22-1990e
• Applicant will receive a copy of the COE
• Send copies of the VONAPP and COE to The Los Angeles Film School via fax: 323-469-4140, mail: 6363 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028 or email:


Am I eligible for Financial Aid?
International students do not qualify for Financial Aid from the U.S. government. Please check with your government to see if they offer aid for you to study abroad.

Am I eligible for a loan?
Private educational loans may be available to International Students who qualify.

Do you offer scholarships?
Yes, The Los Angeles Film School offers two scholarships that international students may be eligible for.
What are some things I can do to reduce the cost?
You can provide your own laptop and software or submit previously-earned college credits to see if any of your credits are transferable.

When is my first payment due?
You first tuition payment and TechKit fee are due 30 days before your classes start.

Do I have to pay for the whole program up front?
No. Once you have been accepted our Financial Aid team will provide you with payment plan options. Only your TechKit fee, which covers your laptop and software, and the first installment of your tuition are required upfront. We bill by semester, which is equivalent to 4 months. Students have the option of paying the fee per academic year, which would require 1 large payment every 8 months, or per semester, which requires 1 smaller payment every 4 months. Extended payment plans may be available to those who qualify.

Do I have to buy my laptop and software from you?
No, you do not have to purchase a computer or software through us if your computer and software meets our requirements for a waiver. To obtain a laptop/software waiver you will need to bring your laptop/software to Registration to verify it meets all of our technology requirements.

Are there additional charges or fees for payment plans?
There are no upfront fees. However, payments not made within 5 business days will be automatically charged a $25 late fee on the 6th business day, with no exceptions. All student privileges (access to campus, equipment, etc.) will be suspended if payments are not made immediately following the due date. You also agree to pay the school any collection expenses it may incur as a result of nonpayment, including legal fees and court costs.
What is an I-20?
An I-20 is a Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant student status that lets the United States government know you have been accepted and are in good standing with the school.

Why do I need the I-20?
You will need an I-20 to pay your SEVIS fee, apply for and obtain an F-1 Student Visa, to enter the United States and to apply for certain certifications or authorizations (e.g. a driver’s license) while in the country.
Do I need an I-20 if I am taking an online program?
International students enrolled in one of our online programs do not need an I-20. If they are not studying in the United States, they do not need to apply for an F-1 Student Visa.

What types of documentation is needed to receive an I-20 from The Los Angeles Film School?
• A completed, program-specific I-20 Information Form
• Bank statement or certified bank letter proving minimum financial ability to meet tuition and living expenses
• A High School diploma, passing score on the GED or high school Certificate of Proficiency
• An academic evaluation (using a service like SpanTran) of your high school certificate if your high school was located outside of the U.S.
• Proof of English proficiency
• Copy of your valid and current passport

Where do I get these forms and will anyone help me with them?
Your congratulations email will include links and/or attachments to any forms you will need. One of our International Admissions Representatives will be available to assist you through the entire process.

When should I submit my I-20 documentation?
It is ideal to have all documents submitted 30 days prior to your start. Please email the documents as you receive them, rather than waiting and sending them all at once.

How does my sponsor sign the I-20 Information form?
After you submit the form with your own signature, you will be emailed a PDF version of the document. Print the PDF, have it signed by your sponsor, scan and email it back us. Another option is to have your sponsor email their sponsor letter directly to

F-1 Student Visa
How do I get an F-1 Student Visa?
After you have been accepted and have received your I-20, you can apply for an F-1 Student Visa from the United States government at your local U.S. Embassy.

The general process includes paying a SEVIS fee, completing an online visa application (DS-160 Form) and successfully completing a visa interview.

How much is the SEVIS fee and how do I pay it?
The fee is currently $350. You may pay your SEVIS fee here.

How long does it take to get my passport/visa back once it is approved?
It generally takes about a week to receive your passport/visa back after it has been approved.

What’s the earliest I can enter the United States once I receive my passport and visa?
You may enter the United States 30 days prior to the start date indicated on your I-20 Form.

What if I am attending school in the U.S. and already have a valid F-1 Student Visa?
Once you have satisfied our I-20 requirements, you will need to have your SEVIS file transferred to us from your current school.
What if I am in the U.S. on a different type of visa, can I still attend school?
Each visa has different regulations regarding whether you are authorized to attend school. Please contact one of our International Admissions Representatives for assistance.

What happens if my F-1 Student Visa expires?
Nothing. As long as you do not leave the United States, you are allowed to stay here and study as long as you have a valid I-20. If you leave the country with an expired visa, you will need to set an appointment and re-apply for a new visa before you will be allowed to re-enter the country as long as you have a valid I-20 and you are in status.
How do I know what I am allowed to do while in the U.S. on an F-1 Student Visa?
Regulations are listed below. During registration, our DSO will review these with you. Please refer to the U.S. government’s visa policies or an immigration lawyer for specific information on visa laws.

•Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) by attaining a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and completing at least 67% of credits attempted. Satisfactory academic progress is checked at the end of each semester.
•Students may not work for pay nor participate in an unpaid internship without a valid US Work Authorization while attending school.
•Students must report any absences to their advisor, instructor and DSO
•Students must contact their DSO to update their contact information
•Students must attend at least 70% of their courses or receive a failing grade
•Students who have their I-20 terminated will have to leave the country within 15 days.

What happens if I violate any of the F-1 Student Visa regulations?
We are required by law to notify the U.S. government if a student violates any F-1 Student Visa regulations. Violations can lead to your I-20 being terminated and/or your visa being revoked. This most often results in you having to leave the country and, in some cases, can result in a ban from the United States for up to 10 years.

What happens if my visa gets terminated because I violated an F-1 Visa regulation?
You will have to leave the country within 15 calendar days.

Why do I have to get a high school evaluation?
It lets us know the curriculum and requirements needed to obtain a high school diploma from your high school are equal to the curriculum and requirements of an accredited high school in the United States.

• Students applying for admission in the Entertainment Business Completer program will additionally need to evidence an education level not less than the equivalent of a U.S. Associate Degree and order an additional document evaluation for proof of Associate or higher degree if their college or university was not located in the United States.

• Students looking to receive transfer credits for college-level courses taken outside of the United States must provide a course-by-course evaluation of their college transcripts.

If I graduated from an American school, do I still need to order an evaluation?
No, if your school was physically located in the United States.
Yes, if your school was physically located outside of the United States.
Can I submit my college/university diploma/transcript instead of my high school diploma/transcript for the evaluation?
No, you must submit your high school diploma or transcript for the evaluation.

Students applying for admission in the Entertainment Business Completer program will additionally need to evidence an education level not less than the equivalent of a US Associate Degree and order an additional document evaluation for proof of Associate or Bachelor’s degree if their college or university was not located in the United States.

Students looking to receive transfer credits for college-level courses taken outside of the United States must provide a course-by-course evaluation of their college transcripts.

Will you transfer classes I took while studying at another college?
In order for your previous coursework to be assessed for transfer credits, you will need to submit an official sealed transcript(s) from your previous college(s). If your college transcripts are from a country other than the United States, it is required you submit a course-by-course evaluation (using a service like SpanTran) of your college transcripts for review.
Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
All students are required to prove English proficiency. A score of 61 on the TOEFL (6.0 IELTS) is required to enroll in our Associate and Bachelor’s degree programs, whereas a score of 79 on the TOEFL (6.5 IELTS) is required to enroll in a Bachelor’s Completer program.

You DO NOT need to take the TOEFL/IELTS if one of the following applies to you:
• English is your country’s official language of instruction
• You have attended one or more years at a high school or college in the United States
• You have successfully met the minimum-level requirement from ELS (Level 110 for Associate and Bachelor’s degrees and Level 112 for a Bachelor’s Completer program.)
• You have successfully completed another college-level English as a second language program from an approved ESL school.

If I need to take English classes, can you help me find a school?
Yes, we recommend you learn English at ELS (English Learning Services). ELS is a private entity, which provides English language training. In most cases, you can study with them in your country or here in the United States. Please visit their website at for more information.